Sunday, September 4, 2011

"Every Woman Should Own a Blowtorch" -Julia Child

My name is Sarah. But you can call me the editor.
My blowtorch is named Christopher.
You know how everyone has those crazy ideas that you make up over dinner, drinks, a lot of drinks? Well. I have that friend who makes those ideas come to fruition. He is... dangerous. He is FUN!

(This here is where we insert the lady-style backstory, cause I'm sure you're all  fascinated with my life story. I mean, who wouldn't be!? I'm delightful!)

Chris & I met when I was 14 & he was 15. We both wore brightly colored Converse. We dated for 2 weeks. It was obviously a passionate love affair. Obviously. I will gloss over the child protective services drama, forced relocation and awkward teenage years (as any woman is want to do). Chris went to a big state school on a full scholarship where he rowed crew, majored in Philosophy (practicality is key) and Political Science and worked full time as a corporate trainer for a Mexican restaurant chain, traveling the country. He has since managed restaurants, managed a mortgage firm, managed a finance firm and managed to become an excellent tequila drinker. Christopher is an underachiever. He also really does own a blowtorch... He went through a welding phase.

I, your kindly editor, attended a small liberal arts college on my parents' dime and majored in Fine Art, performed in theater, studied medieval art history, handed in a photo essay for a science final, lived in the vegan Environmental coop, and was notorious for skinny dipping in fountains and causing mayhem. I have been told many times, "If only you applied yourself." Since college I have worked as a teacher on a Native American Reservation, worked as a documentary film editor in New York City and finally as a massage therapist. I finally applied myself. I have the best job ever. My spirit animals are sequins and the chocolate chip cookie. I really do want to ride a unicorn.

But back to our story... One nights over drinks in my neighborhood in Brooklyn, Chris mentioned that he had just bought a motorcycle. A dirt bike, to be exact. And our plan was hatched. I didn't really plan on following through with it. I never plan on following through with Chris's crazy ideas.

So here I am. Never having been on a dirt bike. But y'know, sometimes poor life choices are the best life choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment